It seems fitting to start my new blog with a list of goals for the year.
Resolutions are usually hit or miss for me. They feel too solid, too weighty. When I make resolutions I freak out about them and end up too frozen to actually change anything. Resolutions are all-or-nothing for my brain-meats.
This year, I decided to choose attainable goals instead of “resolutions.” Goals feel more attainable to me. If I don’t meet them, but I get close, I’ll still feel like I accomplished something.
In regards to my personal goals, this blog post really spoke to me. I’m going to focus on #4, #9, #12, #14, #15, and #22. Six goals feel more easy to accomplish than twenty-five.
General 2016 Goals
- Read at least one book a week (52 books total). I can read very fast, while still retaining the content of what I’m reading. I can read one book in one day if I really want to (unless it’s one of those 1,000+ page novels like Outlander, those usually take me at least a few days to a week). When I was younger, I used to read all the time. I fell out of that habit. I want to pick it back up again. It’s only January 5, but I’ve already read 4 books so far this year. So I’m ahead of my goal. You can find me on Goodreads.
- Knit one item a week for charity (52 items total). I’m going to focus on using up my scraps to make hats for charity. Some will be preemie caps, some will be sized for children, and some will be for adults. Since it takes me about one afternoon to knit an adult hat, I don’t think this goal will be much of a problem. You can find me on Ravelry.
- Try one new recipe a week (52 recipes total). I love cooking. I like to be useful, and how much more useful can you get when you’re making food for others? I joined a cookbook club that meets every other month, which will be a great help for this goal. Otherwise, I read a few blogs that have amazing recipes and I’m excited to get started on this goal. And no worries, I’ll share my favorite recipes here on the blog.
- Make all gifts this year. I’m a crafty individual. I can knit wearable items or squishy toys, make favorite desserts from scratch, DIY something that smells lovely (sugar scrubs, lotion bars, etc.), or package ingredients together in a cool way (like homemade vanilla extract in a pretty bottle, or homemade hot cocoa mix in a mason jar). In the past, I’ve tried to do this but I didn’t plan enough in advance. So this year, I’m definitely planning ahead.
- Organize. Everything. Most of my apartment is fairly organized, but it still needs work. Especially the extra bedroom/craft room/bike room. I finally have a guest bed in there, but I still need to get a mattress for it. I also need to move furniture around and get a smallish desk for the room (I need somewhere to put a sewing machine). Then, I need to figure out where to put my partner’s bicycle and accompanying equipment. I also have to rearrange our sunlit nook, generally referred to as the “cat corner” since that’s where one of our litter boxes is, along with a huge cat tree, a small cat playhouse, and most of the cat toys that the fuzzbutts haven’t yet thrown around the rest of the house.
- Blog more. I’ve had quite a few blogs over the years. They’d usually last for a few months, then I’d just stop writing for some reason or another. But this year, I’m going to stick to this goal. Here’s to hoping!
What are your goals for 2016?